The Smyth County Public Library System consists of 3 locations: the main library and central offices in Marion and branches in Chilhowie and Saltville.
The Smyth County Public Library serves members of the community by providing access to resources to enable them to fulfill their personal and professional goals. We offer high-quality current materials and enriching programs that make the library a hub for the community.
Materials available at all locations include current bestsellers, paperbacks, research materials, popular magazines, local and national newspapers, DVDs, and WiFi hotspots and tablets. We also offer databases that can be accessed here on our website for learning and entertainment purposes.
The system originated as the Marion Public Library within one room in the Municipal Building on May 27, 1935, through the efforts of the Marion Library Association sponsored by the Marion Book and Study Club. The Smyth County Library Board was formed in 1946 with members from Marion, Chilhowie, Saltville, and Sugar Grove. Eventually, after a 1963 merger between the town and county libraries, the Smyth-Bland Regional Library was established and housed in the Smyth County Schools Administrative Office Building.
In 1976, the Friends of the Library helped the county finance the purchase of a lot on Cherry and Sheffey Streets which became the site of the main library. The grand opening was held in April 1980. Additional expansion on the building started in 1988.
The Saltville Public Library location opened in March 1985 in an 1800 square foot facility provided by the Town of Saltville.
The Chilhowie Public Library location was added to the system in October 2003. It is located inside the old Chilhowie High School building and is provided by the Town of Chilhowie.
In 2017, the regional system was disbanded, and the current Smyth County Public Library System came into existence.